Each Friday I wait for two unique prompts. One is the Trifextra prompt. It usually sets a limit of 33 words to convey your thoughts. I find this a good test, as it makes me value the limited words I use and make what I select count. It also allows for the reader to fill in the blanks to see what they choose. Many times the Trifextra does not have a photo tie-in. For that I can always depend on the other major challenge on the last day of my traditional work week, The Weekly Photo Challenge.
There is a nervous anticipation I get each week as I look for the post declaring the topic for the week. Thankfully I have developed quite a treasure trove of photographic stock to peruse when the topic becomes clear. Usually I can locate a photo to bring to the topic within minutes. Then it is simply a matter of creating the post. I appreciate all of you who check out my weekly responses to the challenge. I enjoy taking with each of you in the comments and reading your posts as well.
For this week the challenge is nostalgia. This is right down my alley since I love taking and keeping photos. I hear some people say to never take phtos of places as you will never care about them after you leave. Take only photos of people, since they change so much and are temporarily on this earth. Well, I disagree with the first statement. The world changes every day and nothing is ever the same, no matter how often you go back to it. Weather, time and just the nature of the world makes every moment unique.
There is no better example of how fast time changes than having a child and watching them grow. My son is eighteen and my daughter is fifteen and it is amazing how much they change every week. Granted it is not as measurable as when they were infants, but the differences are more in the skills they exhibit in dealing with the things young adults. I have a lot of fun dealing with them and their friends when they collect at our house because they seem to be more outgoing and fun and willing to talk about anything going on.
Another piece of nostalgia I want to share is a photo from April of 1977. It is a photo of the town of Clinchport, Va, which was in the path of a horrible flood that year. My mom was born and raised in this small town ans my grandfather was the mayor when the flood ravaged the town. These days it is merely a small village as most of the structures present in 1977 are gone.
On Tuesday night I inserted the replacement bulb into my dad’s fifty some year old Bell and Howell projector and threaded some ancient 8 mm home movies in to view some nostalgic home movies. I saw myself as a little bit younger than the photo above. My plan is to set up the projector and use my video camera to capture the images before the film fails. Like all man made things, its lifetime is finite. But for me the memories will last as long as i can make them.
Other Nostalgia themed posts:
- Nostalgia | Monochrome
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic (Cheers) | skpfoto
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Flickr Comments
- Nostalgic (Weekly Photo Challenge) | En Vers et Contre-Champs
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Ese’ s Voice
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Stephen Chapman
- 3 … 2 … On Board! | Empire of Lights
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | My.Vivid.Visions
- Street Ghosts | Good2begone
- My Light Through the Darkness | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Weekly photo challenge (theme of the week): Nostalgic | An Enchanted Eye
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | masadiso79’s Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgia | suzie81’s Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic – Joy and Woe
- Nostalgic – Yearning to Relive A Moment! | Things To Rave About
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | ZULFIKARALEX
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgia | Ruined for Life: Phoenix Edition
- Journey Called Life …
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic : It’s a Journey! | Journey Called Life …
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Beijing Daily Photo 2
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Dim Lamp/קנה רצוץ לא ישבור
- Photoworld 5-7-13 | ~~~ nur ein “Klick” ~~~ ein Kompendium
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Jinan Daily Photo
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | ILEANA PARTENIE
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | What Is It?!?
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic — Coney Island Summers | SERENDIPITY
- Weekly Photo Challenge: “Nostalgic” | just another outlet
- Weekly Photo Challenge-Nostalgic | Dancing in the rain!
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Pictures for Froghopper
- Nostalgic in Aachen | A Happy and Beautiful World
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | No Fixed Plans
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic: Jaffna oh my Jaffna | SABAS LOG
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Travel Monkey
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic–Butterfly Surgery | Healing Through Pictures