Daily Prompt- Blogger With a Cause – If your day to day responsibilities were taken care of and you could throw yourself completely behind a cause, what would it be?
For as long as I can remember I have desired to help others and make a difference in their life. Even if it is as simple as opening a door, or shoveling the snow in a neighbor’s driveway, I am happy to help others. There is a feeling of satisfaction that just does not come from any other action that fills me when I do these type of things. It is a direct extension of my personal desire to live out my faith along the JOY Principle, which is Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last.
I can remember traveling ninety minutes across the roads of Southwest Virginia to my mother’s hometown of Clinchport, Virginia following the massive flood of 1977 that devastated the small town. I was only twelve years old, but even then I wanted to do all my small frame could to clean up and repair the damage to my grandparents home. The feeling was resurrected again in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo made such an impact through South Carolina, North Carolina and even my home state of Virginia.
Two years ago a tornado found its way through my community and dealt a heavy blow to my father;s hometown. I got the opportunity to be part of the disaster relief effort. I worked helping to clear debris and also with the state mobile feeding unit that supplied food to first responders as well as residents who had no power and in some cases, no homes.
If my day to day needs were covered I would hook up with this feeding unit and go with them when they rolled out to handle disaster needs. I would also work with clean up crews cutting trees and clearing homes of flood debris. Watching reports of storm damage you just have a feeling of wanting to do something to help people recover from such a life altering experience.
The other focus when not responding to disasters would be to travel to other countries on mission trips. I have worked for some years with Operation Christmas Child to assemble their shoe box gifts that are sent to children in countries where the need for simple gifts is identified. Last December I was blessed to be able to travel to another country, Belize and immerse myself for eight days in another culture. I loved every second and the opportunity to learn about their culture and offer assistance and share my love for God.
Until such time as this is possible I will just give what I can and when I can in smaller ways.
Other Blogger With a Cause prompts:
- My cause | Renato Vasconcellos David
- Goodbye August, Hello September | Ramisa the Authoress
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | My Amphitheater
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause – Visit to an Old Age Home with Orphanage Kids on Friendship Day
- Enough is Enough | The Dirty Word
- Daily Prompt ~ Help! | Misifusa’s Blog
- Many a Possibility | Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Under the Monkey Tree
- Unconventional School | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Blogger with a Cause | Icezine
- We are all in this together: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- What About The Children? | Prayers and Promises
- Blogger With a Cause | Geek Ergo Sum
- Bridge (help) | photo potpourri
- Helping Kids Be Kids [Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause] | unknowinglee
- How To Solve Poverty (Monorhyme Sonnet) | Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion
- A cause? How about education? « RPMAS
- daily prompt – lend a hand | pork juice & paper towels
- “Helping Even One Child” | Spirit Lights The Way
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause. Not. | SERENDIPITY
- No Man’s Silver Or Gold (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Help | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- School Board | Conversations
- The Business of Helping Others | Molly Greye
- Daily Prompt: Causes – Fire/EMS | Jottings and Writings
- Play my arm like a violin | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause – SPREAD THE LOVE | littlegirlstory
- Reading for a cause | A mom’s blog
- Cause and Effect | Life & Times
- Help! I need somebody! | Everyday Adventures
- 162. Blogger with a Cause | kevindeisher
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Completely Disappear
- Innocent Victims of Wars | Blognovic’s Weblog
- Innocent Victims of Wars | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | My Atheist Blog
- Pup With a Cause… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Are You Mission Lead | Emotional Fitness
- I Give You the Power to Ask…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Help | Flowers and Breezes
- Causes | Going New Places!
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: ‘Cuz | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause » My Life, My Way, My Words
- If Only I Could Do More | f8 and Be There
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | A Western Buddhist’s Travels
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Ruminations from an Introvert
- Out To Pasture | Cowgirl Up!
- “Blogger With a Cause” | Relax
- Blogger With a Cause | The Nameless One
- The Blog of a Sassy Pony » Blogging with a cause
- pay it forwards | Her Broken Nibs
- Do I really have a cause? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Exclusive: A sneak peek at my forthcoming book “Running Naked With Pheasants” | The not really news blog
- But I’m Already Living My Cause | Untitled Entity
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause, Ending Sex Trafficking in America | College Girl Dai
- Super Rant Alert! The Daily Prompt presses my DO NOT PRESS button! | An Upturned Soul
- Will That Be Medium, Large, Bucket Or Trough? | Eve Livingston, Ph.D.
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause « The Blogging Path
- I Love Writing | Wise Counsel
- Effects of a Cause | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Vagabond
- You can’t save the world, but you can save someone! | My thoughts on a page.
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause 4 Wheel 2 Heal | Kelly’s Life
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | To Breathe is to Write
- S. Thomas Summers | Help!!!!
- Daily Post – My Chosen Cause | awritersfountain
- Cause 1…Type 1 that is | Why yes, yes I do
- New post Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause 3|9 | familyphotosfoodcraft.com
- You Are My Cause | Mind My Mind But…
- Fear | Nameless Non-ficton
- Be + Cause = Because You Can | Cheri Speak
- Daily prompt // help | simplylifestuff
- Revolution : Blogger With A Cause | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Pointing Up | Simple Smiles
- HE LIFTS US UP: My Cause–Domestic Violence Awareness and GOD, The ONE Who Rescued Me | ChristianBlessings
- Daily Prompt Challenge – Help | soletusknow
- Daily Post: Looking At Homelessness | Slam on the Brakes, Pull Over, Take the Picture
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | lizardsonthelanai
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Alice’s Adventures in Reality
- Feed America and Feed the World | IF I ONLY HAD A TIME MACHINE
- Jewelry Stand | Camwords
- What if I had a cause? | Okay, what if ?
- ‘Cause I Love My Students, I will Join the Cause | My [redacted] Journey
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Wanderlushh
- Paws For A Cause | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Blogger with a Cause_Focus on Sped Children | Advocacine’s Blog
- No Excuses | Word Disorder
- Firestarter | Fifteen Fifty-seven
- Daily post – causes: Horses for courses | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Daily Prompt: Teal Ribbons | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt: Blogger with a Cause | sukies original
- if i could, i would | wannabepoet
- My Cause | Stuphblog
Pingback: Just because… | Natasha's Memory Garden
It is good to have discovered what you have a passion for.
It’s a good cause that you have identified with, and I am proud of you.
I also love the resolve to do your best with what you have available to you at the moment.
Keep up the good work!