A dog has been a part of my life for most of my life. The exception was of course during my time away at school and the first eight years of marriage. Part of the absence was due to the places we lived. Another was because my wife was not used to having a dog around.
The place we live now has plenty of room for a dog to roam which to me is a prerequisite to owning a pet. One of the things I most dislike is seeing a pet of any kind tied to a fixed point and not attended to at all. There is just no way to feel good about this treatment of an animal.
The recognition a pet gives you is always dependable. They greet you with a happy heart every day, believing every time you see them you will treat them with love and attention just as they will you. When I go outside my dog wants to be near me no matter what I do. Sometimes that is good and sometimes it can be annoying if you do something where they can get in the way.
Five summers ago we had a litter of nine Labrador Retriever puppies at our place. This was a very joyous time as the cute factor ratcheted up significantly. With one cream colored puppy and nine chocolate ones we had a lot of fun raising them to adoption age.
Read the other Daily Prompt – Menagerie posts:
- Daily Post: Menagerie | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Security | Conversations
- Safety Sounds Like a Cat Purring | Wandering Voiceless
- Everyday Adventures | Daily Prompt: Menagerie
- Nellie has spotted her sworn enemy | Philosophy & Photography
- Daily Prompt: Menagerie | Basically Beyond Basic
- Photo comics “Nellie and a piece of meat” | Philosophy & Photography
- Le Chat Noir | Philosophy & Photography
- Animals have feelings too | Right Down My Alley
- Travels With Ole Duke | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Menagerie | The Gozum Show
- This is the tale of two cats and three dogs | Fantasy Gathering
- Miss Turtle | بيسان
- Daily Prompt: Menagerie | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt: Menagerie | Joe’s Musings