This is my response to the Weekly Writing Challenge. This particular challenge hits the sweet spot since I have been writing dialogue for several years.
Your challenge this week? Begin a post with a scene that includes dialogue. Think of a hook — a moment that can act as a catalyst and drive your narrative forward.
“Hit the gas!”
Myrtle did as her friend ordered and stomped the floor. She and her friend were thrown against the dash of the old model sedan.
“That is the brake!” Sadie howled. She looked over her shoulder to see if anyone was coming. “Hit the other one!”
Myrtle moved her foot to the right and stomped again, this time throwing both of them back into their seats as the huge old engine roared to life. Myrtle deftly directed the machine around the coiling drive that led away from Shady Valley retirement village.
“Is anyone looking?” Myrtle asked.
Sadie could see innumerable faces pressed up against the glass of the day room, but she decided to lie to her friend.
“They must be watching Wheel of Fortune,” Sadie lied.
“Where did you say we were going again?” Myrtle asked.
“For the tenth time, we are going to Vegas!” Sadie repeated.
“Oh yes, where those young women are nearly naked. We should try to stop that while we are there.”
“Sure, whatever you want. Did you bring your money?”
“I have it all in here,” Myrtle said patting her tote sized pocketbook, which was in its usual place on her right hip.
“How far is it to Vegas?” Myrtle asked.
“We will be there by morning,” Sadie replied.
“That’s a long time. I must take my medicine before then,” Myrtle declared.
“If you do that you will be asleep in no time. You know I cannot drive. You will have to skip it this one time.”
“As long as you don’t tell my Lorrie. You know how she is about my medicine.”
“Your daughter loves you and wants you to be well,” Sadie replied.
Sadie tensed as she saw the police checkpoint ahead. She looked for another road they could turn for, but there was nothing but the way ahead. When Myrtle rolled to a stop and lowered her window a young patrolman smiled as he recognized her from their briefing two hours earlier.
“Hello Mrs. Greer,” he said.
“Hello dear,” Myrtle replied sweetly.
“Mrs. Hopper,” the young man said as he knelt to peer at her as well.
“Hmph,” Sadie said while crossing her arms.
“You ladies planning a trip somewhere?”
“We’re going to Vegas!” Myrtle announced. “So we can stop all those beautiful girls from defiling their bodies!”
The officer stifled a laugh before continuing to talk to the pair.
“As noble as that sounds, your friends at Shady Valley miss you. Why don’t you let me take you home.”
I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you root for the characters to succeed?
I want to point you flash fiction writers to another option. It is Flash in the Pan, where you write short fiction 50-150 words respectively to words chosen and posted each week. 250 responses will be collected and published by Redmund Productions. You can check the details at the following link: Flash in the Pan.
Other Dialogue responses:
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | ZWITSERLAND SWITZERLAND SCHWEIZ SUISSE SVIZZERA
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue response | TheStrangersLetters
- A special bond | Master Of Disaster
- Two Old Men « On the Windowsill
- The last stance | MC’s Whispers
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | DG
- Eleven Months | Fish Of Gold
- What | Not Enough Poetry
- Saturday Walk | Not Enough Poetry
- The Albatross… | ©ontinental boy
- Night Air, Warm and Smoky | Not Enough Poetry
- A Perfect Day At Sea | The Life NomadikThe Life Nomadik
- The Story of The Lance | The Life NomadikThe Life Nomadik
- uh oh… a clogged toilet | Musings of a Random Mind
- The Lost Letter #dailypost #history #poetry #photography | Moondustwriter’s Blog
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Flirtation – not everyone gets it | mostlytrueramblings
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue. | Nomad Scribbles
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue – Country Tale | SERENDIPITY
- Incomplete | For the love of sharing awesomeness
- Mastering the Kama… eh, whatever | Not the fat kid in gym class anymore…
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue – The End Of Something Special | The Story of a Guy
- Name tags | Mark Evans
- The Pyjama Girl. | Janey Macken Street!
- Killing the cobbler | James Clegg
- Anne of Clean Tables: How a famous writer encouraged a wanna-be writer to write, right. | I am not what I am.
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue – Peace Wall | Nomadic Gregoires
- Tell me how it is, Doc. | Anthony’s Heart Valve Replacement Saga
- Two way communication | Le Drake Noir
- Breaking News | 2twistedforcolortv
- WWC: The Oppressor | Kingdom of Sharks
- Jabberwocky: Dialogue With Attitude… | alienorajt
- Of Schnoodles and Twerking | Farfetched Friends
- The Bullet (# 2) | Rolbos ©
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | imaginations
- Everyone, meet Mandy! | My August Hands
- The hardest word | Fifty Words a Day
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue. About goats. | Geography: It’s Awesome
- Hourglass | raggykate
- The call | Motherhood and Beyond
- WP22: Stability Tree | My Amphitheater
- WP20: Body and Soul | My Amphitheater
- WP18: Breaking News | My Amphitheater
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Frozen in TIme | Inspire
- Moving on | Spinning a Yarn~~
- The innocent question… | gaurimaini
- DPchallenge – Dramione fanfic (an original of mine) | Body, Mind, & Soul
- DPchallenge – Dramione original | Body, Mind, & Soul
- Myself and the little voices in my head discuss an article on ‘Working Mothers’… | 3rdculturechildren
- After Life | Confused Humanity
- I will not hold your hand, nor will I hide. | Write in the Wrong Way
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue: Waking Up | MythRider
- Operation Spider Rescue | Gnome Lover
- The Spelling Bee | A String of Pearls
- Khalin Kros – Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Just Keep Swimming
- Child Soldiers (Weekly Writing Challenge) | Icezine
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue – Landmine | SERENDIPITY
- I’m Pregnant | Axe Girl
- Scene from the coffee shop. | Crossroads
- Sense & Sensitivity | marsowords
- Dialogue | thexienator
- Weekly Writing Challenge turned Story-Telling Time | ekko.mee
- The Call…(Weekly WP challenge) | Daily Observations
- Daily Post Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Evelinasec’s Blog
- Internet Installation Saga | Hills Surround Her
- Six years in the making | The weird truth
- Daily Post Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Poeme Sur Le Web Blog
- Inside the closet : Dailypost prompt – Dialogue | Busy Mind Thinking
- it all comes right back around | wannabepoet
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | cognitive reflection
- I’ll Cross That Bridge…Never | This Is My Corn
- Short story | dawnyhosking
- Dialogue | Flickr Comments
- Platypus | Bright Moments Catcher
- The best woman in the world | From Five to Fifty
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | My Atheist Blog
- The Case Manager | A String of Pearls
- Kids Say the Darndest Things, and Have Meltdowns at Parties | NobsLyfe
- Word Traffic Court | Alphabet Story
- Dedicated to Our Own Psychosis | The Seeker’s Dungeon
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue –A Twist | Inner Quest Wanderer
- Infinite Infinities | Passive Good Mornings
- If Love Be Rough | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Strong for Someone Else | Avoiding Neverland
- Writing Challenge | While We’re Free
- Miscarriage | vicbriggs’s Blog
- “What the f*ck … | gabrielleablackwell
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Irregular Ventilator
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Workarena
- The Ex | Nicki
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Joe’s Musings
- Summers 5B | Keigh Ahr
- Two Truths. And A Lie. Part I. | A Ripple In Culture
- Growing Up with Verbal and Physical Abuse, part 2: A True Story | The Psych Word
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Marry me? | Life of a Fallen Angel
- Lost | Harcourt 51
- Lost | Sufficient for Each Day
- Lost | Sufficient for Each Day
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Only One Way | Creative Mysteries
- Flying lessons | Thin spiral notebook
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue – Long walks and dark chocolate
- Weekly writing challenge: Dialogue | La chica de la burbuja
- The Answer | Proverbs 31 Teen
- Intermission | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- V is for Vitroil | Anecdote Love
- Edifice of Love | A beetle with earrings
- Lets Talk About Warriors. | Many More Ripples
- Weekly writing challenge: Dialogue | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue — Hello, I’m your wife. I live here! | SERENDIPITY
- The Preferred Destination | anniethinksabout
- For the Children with Specs | Whispers of a Barefoot Medical Student
- The Reunion | Spinning a Yarn~~
- Getting to school | A mom’s blog
- “She said what?” Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Tales from the Motherland
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue – I Don’t Give A …. | 아토 (Ato)
- Challenges | pdinspire
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Amelie Lockhart
- The Monsters Inside of Us | Ramisa the Authoress
- i would like to get | y
- Apology from a Recovering Evangelical | So Here’s Us…
- Temporary (a short story) | katy warner
- The Other Baby | A Mourning Mom
- Weekly WritingChallenge: Dialogue on a chilly summer morning | Someday I Will Learn
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Melinda S. Gregory
- “The Best Goodbye: A Tribute.” | Reading, Writing and Laughing on the Way to Inner Bliss:
- DP Weekly Challenge: Dialogue | decidinglybob
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Stevie’s Words
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | life n me!
- One Topic, Three Takes: Weddings | The Daily Post
- Daily Post Weekly Writing Challenge: What’s Up? | I’m no stargirl
- Regroup and Recoup (Part 3) | CardCastlesInTheSky
- 1 Lorazepam, 2 Lorazepam…. 55 Lorazepam, More! | A Girl Divided
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | The Last Goodbye | mattsden101
- The Blue Coat | Shay’s Blog
- Weekly Writing Challenge | He Said, She Said (Dialogue) | InkOutLoud
- Don’t skimp on the dialogue. | Official Blog of Cedaria: Blackout
- Wake me up when it’s all over. | Thoughts of a Lesser Canine
- Floating in Black | obsidiousrise
- Heartache for Christmas | All Things Girl
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | kendrawaters
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | Words We Women Write
- The Great Game: Chapter 1 – Scouting | Threadbare Cafe
- The System | Lovin the Trip
- In Response to this week’s Daily Post Challenge: Dialogue | The Necessary Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside II & Weekly Writing Challenge: Dialogue | My DogaBlog
- A Love for Love | Teapotted Dreams
- Witness To A Crucifixion | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Therapy in my Madness | The Adventures of Cat Madigan
- In Memory | melanielynngriffin
- “License and Registration, Please” (part one) | Conversations
- BRIBING THE DEMONS | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Between The Lines | Thoughthouse
- Lost In Translation. | My thoughts on a page.
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Summit | mardmood
- The Drive Over | Wise Woman in Training